ADSM-L

Re: RAID5 in TSM

2002-10-23 02:24:30
Subject: Re: RAID5 in TSM
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:22:58 -0500
Your database is I/O-bound. You have, essentially, duplicated your
protection at different levels. You need to choose between 1) RAID-5 or
2) TSM Software mirroring, but you should not use both. Either one will
protect you from a disk drive failure, and either one will allow the
server to stay up and running when a failure occurs.

I believe that the best way is to use TSM Software mirroring on JBOD
(i.e. plain, raw) disk drives for the database and log, and RAID-5 for
the online disk storage pools. But if you are stuck using RAID-5 for
some reason, then do not use TSM Server mirroring as well; it is
redundant.

When you allocate your mirror copies, get the two copies as far away
from each other as possible. At minimum, they must be on separate
physical disk drives. Better to have them on separate I/O channels (SCSI
bus...). This separation will both help performance, and improve your
ability to continue running after a disk problem.