ADSM-L

Re: RAID5 in TSM

2002-10-22 23:40:52
Subject: Re: RAID5 in TSM
From: Raghu S <raghu AT COSMOS.DCMDS.CO DOT IN>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:43:21 -0700
Here i am not worried about the protection.I am worried about the
performace. Most of my client backups are failed.

                    Suad Musovich
                    <s.musovich@AUCKL        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    AND.AC.NZ>               cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     Re: RAID5 in TSM
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    .EDU>

                    10/23/2002 12:49
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Realistically, if Array B dies, you lose the Database "and" recovery
log. The mirroring ain 't giving you protection from that.
I would separate the recovery log to array A and lose the mirroring on
both DB and log(maybe mirror log between arrays).
Restoration of a broken DB should only mean a couple hours outage, in
your case.

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 01:03, Raghu S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There was a lot of discussion on this topic before.But i am requesting
TSM
> gurus give their comments again.
>
> The set up is like this.
>
> TSM Server : Windows NT 4.0 SP6, TSM 5.1.0.0
>
>                             392 MB memory, P III
>
>                   Adaptech Ultra SCSI
>
>                 Hard Disk :  Internal   Hardware RAID 5:
>
>                          array A : 8.678GB * 3 : 17.356GB data and 8.678
GB
> parity
>
>                          array B : 35.003 GB * 3 : 70.006GB data and
35.003
> GB parity.
>

> Both array A and array B are connected to the same channel.
>
> OS and TSM 5.1 are installed on array A
>
> TSM data base, recovery log and Disk storage pool are installed in array
B.