ADSM-L

Re: how many active session?

2002-10-17 09:18:46
Subject: Re: how many active session?
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:17:51 -0400
One way to do this is to take periodic "query session" readings and count
them.
A better way (ours) is to analyze the activity log for session-start and
session-end messages (not as easy as it sounds, but do-able).
This is better because:
        1. It doesn't hammer your TSM server with queries
        2. It sees all the fine detail of session activity.  When a TSM schedule
fires, you may have 50 nodes in session - but only for a minute.  60 seconds
later 8 of them are done; two minutes later 25 of the are done.  So there's
a spike of activity that you'd miss, if you only took a reading once every
five minuntes.

What good is this detail?  Well, when you look at a night's worth, you might
see that there's a spike at 8PM, which is mostly done by 8:30.  Then there's
another spike at 10PM.  But from 8:30 to 10:00 PM, nothing much is
happening.  So you can see that it might be smart to move your 10 PM job up
to 8:30, and squeeze your backups into a smaller window.

Mr. Lindsay Morris
Lead Architect, Servergraph
www.servergraph.com
859-253-8000 ofc