ADSM-L

Re: More on Repeat Backups...

2002-10-16 10:03:42
Subject: Re: More on Repeat Backups...
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:56:12 +0300
Jerry,

your question was "how to remove the symptom". To remove the problem -
remove Windows, period.
In Windows you have two options:
1. Backup "System Object". Read carefully - it is singular not plural. All
binaries + DLLs + registry + (optional) other system components = (one)
System Object. That single object is backed up as a whole. If any
component of it is changed the whole is assumed changed and is backed up.
Same as for file backup - if few bytes are changed the whole file is
backed up. The problem is that %$#$% System Object is terribly huge.
2. Backup parts independently - exclude the %$^$% Object, backup
executables & DLLs and develop some own solution for registry, event logs,
AD, MSCS Cluster DB, etc. You are on your own. Otherwise you have to rely
on M$ and use option 1.
Sorry.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Lawson, Jerry W (ETSD, IT)" <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
16.10.2002 14:47