ADSM-L

Re: Archive\Long Term Storage Question

2002-10-15 17:35:49
Subject: Re: Archive\Long Term Storage Question
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:37:26 -0700
In addition to setting up a pool (or using an existing pool), the more
important thing is to set up an archive copy group with the desired
retention.  The key here is that an archive is a distinctly different
function than backup.  The stuff that is archived is managed per the archive
copy group.  You may choose to point the archive copygroup destination at a
new pool or at an existing pool.  More about that later.

In your case you will need to use the backup/archive client to archive the
exchange/sql data.  To do this, those databases must be down (you can choose
to do this at 3:00 am on Sunday morning).  I don't believe the TDPs allow
archiving, but I may be wrong on that point and I'm sure someone else will
correct me if necessary.

So operationally, you will continue to do daily TDP backups of this stuff
and add a once-a-month db shutdown/archive to capture the data for long term
retention.

As for which pool should the data go to.  Two choices: existing backup pool
or new archive pool.  Pros and cons?  Separate pool, separates the data and
allows you to remove the full tapes to the vault if you would like.  Same
pool allows reclamation to continue to move the data around on volumes thus
"freshening" the data periodically.  Your choice.

Kelly J. Lipp
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
lipp AT storsol DOT com or kelly.lipp AT storserver DOT com
www.storsol.com or www.storserver.com
(719)531-5926
Fax: (240)539-7175