ADSM-L

Re: Sizing for 2 TB Oracle DB backup

2002-10-15 12:24:59
Subject: Re: Sizing for 2 TB Oracle DB backup
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:01:54 -0500
Eric, this may serve as a starting point for extrapolation --

We do 680 GB of SAP/R3 - Oracle in about 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'm NOT
using a SAN (yet).

The ESS is fiber-channel (3 fibers) to a 660-6M1; From there, we use four
sessions to four tape drives. Two sessions each over gigabit ethernet, to
another 660-6M1 with 10 LTO tape drives SCSI-attached, two per cable. Right
now, I show an average rate of 72 MB/sec, which would be 18 MB/sec per tape
drive. I'm not sure where my bottleneck is, but I get roughly 440 MB of data
per tape so the propaganda indicates I could do up to 36 MB/sec per drive (4
to 1 compression).

As to how many drives you need -- what time constraint do you have? If you
do one backup per day and use flashcopy you have 24 hours less the time
required for the storage pool backup for off-site (this puppy IS going
off-site, isn't it?).

As a starting swag for sizing, I'd figure about 16 to 18 MB/sec for 3580
(LTO) drives and somewhere in the 12 to 18 MB/sec for 3590 drives (I don't
have any experience with the newer drives, these numbers may be off). If
you're starting from scratch and don't have a large number of small files to
do from other systems, I'd recommend the LTO drives; if you have small files
to do as well, the 3590 works much better, but at a much greater cost.

Figure using the same tape drives to do the off-site storage copy, with
maxproc at half the number of drives. In my case, 2 hours 38 minutes for the
backup and 4 hours 10 minutes to do the storage pool copy -- and four of my
ten drives occupied for just under seven hours total each day. I do not run
reclaims on these tapes -- they're archived for 21 days and I just let them
expire naturally -- but you may need to figure in reclaim processing as
well.

HTH --

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc