ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.1.5 for Mac OS X; serious issues still remain

2002-10-15 08:23:40
Subject: Re: TSM 5.1.5 for Mac OS X; serious issues still remain
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:23:36 +0200

From: Dave Schroeder [mailto:das AT doit.wisc DOT edu]
I've recently taken a look at the new TSM 5.1.5 client for Mac OS/Mac
OS X. Some serious issues still remain, and I'd like to know IBM's
official position on these issues:

[snippage]

I have called in to IBM about this countless times, and painstakingly
detailed these glaring problems, epsecially the Scheduler issue,
several times. What do we have to do to get these issues solved?

Get Mac machines a measurable share of today's server market.

So you're sugesting that while we are willing to pay as much for backing
up a Mac as for a PC, IBM doesn't have to put as much effort in building
a decent TSM client.

Virtually all of the machines that a business bothers to backup are
servers.
In all the years that I've worked with TSM, the number of Mac servers
I've
seen in all of the server rooms I've been in I could count on one hand.
With
the workload that Tivoli has just supporting major server OSs like
Windows,
AIX, Solaris, etc., it is not surprising that Mac development doesn't
get
much in the way of priority.

Over here, we do backup workstations to protect their users data. If
tivoli was unwilling to support Mac, they wouldn't have sold the client
at all. Either do thing good, or don't do them at all. I can inmagine
developpers have a problem supporting Mac since it's quite different
from Unix, so they need more time to do the same thing as they do on
Unix. Windows programming is known to be more complicated, so will
probably get some more resources.

Like most other businesses, Tivoli (and IBM) go where the money is; this
being true, it seems unlikely that the Mac issues will be resolved soon.

And like all buisnesses IBM is not happy with negative publicity. So
it's in their intrest to build a decent client, or stop selling it.
Having said that. My mac is a lot happier with 5.1.5 on MacOS X than it
was with 5.1.0.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP keys at http://home.sara.nl/~remco/keys.asc

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams