ADSM-L

Re: archive services!

2002-10-13 22:46:08
Subject: Re: archive services!
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 02:05:46 +0300
Usage of archive instead of backupsets gives you many benefits -
granularity down to a single file, copypool protection, etc.
You can control the archiving through several ways:
- archive copygroup may point to another storagepool hierarchy (which is
done by default in v4.x servers - BACKUPPOOL and ARCHIVEPOOL are
different). Storage policy in that hierarchy might be different from
stgpools used for backups.
- you cannot stop a sysadmin to use 'dsmc archive' on his/her discretion
but can track from the server what/when archives are done.
- you are messing the terms - there is no way to use archive copygroup for
any backup (selective or incremental)
- there is a way to block particular client from performing archives -
define separate domain + policyset without archive copygroups and move the
node to that domain. Lack of archive copygroups will lead to lack of
destination stgpool for archives - no archives will be possible.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Chetan H. Ravnikar" <Chetan.Ravnikar AT SYNOPSYS DOT COM>
13.10.2002 02:31