ADSM-L

Re: upgrade from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM 5.1.5

2002-10-11 16:04:19
Subject: Re: upgrade from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM 5.1.5
From: "Johnn D. Tan" <jdtan AT MED.CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:07:54 -0400
 I'm getting confused about the cleanup backupgroups thing as there
seem to be some problems with it. Why do you need to do a 'delete
system object' prior to the upgrade and what is the command for it?

I'm not too sure about the whole cleanup backupgroups myself. I
understand that Tivoli has re-done the way the database handles
Windows SYSTEM OBJECTS. So if you don't delete them, then the CLEANUP
BACKUPGROUPS, as I understand, cleans that up for you. By deleting
the SYSTEM OBJECTS prior to upgrade, there would then be nothing to
"CLEANUP", at the risk, of course, that you can't do a bare metal
restore of your Win2K servers until after successful backups occur.

That is how I understood it. But I agree, there is confusing and
not-clear info out there.

As for deleting system objects, someone said you could do a
del fi * "SYSTEM OBJECT"
but this didn't work for us, saying no such node as "*". (Though
doing that with "query" worked fine.)

So, we redirected the output of
q fi * "SYSTEM OBJECT"
to a file, then converted that file into a script, then fed that
script into dsmadmc at the command line, and that started all of our
deletion processes successfully.

No longer have that script, but with some vi/grep/awk-ing, you should
be able to figure it out.

johnn