ADSM-L

upgrade from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM 5.1.5

2002-10-11 10:12:46
Subject: upgrade from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM 5.1.5
From: "kurt.beyers AT pandora DOT be" <kurt.beyers AT PANDORA DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:12:15 +0200
Hi,

I'll be upgrading soon from a TSM 4.1.3 server to  TSM 5.1.5 server(if I can
get the CD's from somewhere or download it) on Windows 2k.

I've read the post of Johnn D. Tann where he states that it went fine. Here is
a copy/paste of his message:

>Here's the conceptual overview of what we did -- obviously, tailor it
>for your environment:
>1) stop TSM from doing anything (disable sessions, nomigrrecl, disablesched)
>2) delete SYSTEM OBJECT (helps speed up cleanup backupgroups later on)
>3) full db backup
>4) stop TSM Server
>5) copy dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk, volhist, devconfig to a safe place
>6) install new version from CD
>7) patch to 5.1.1.6 (Tivoli website)
>8) reboot
>9) start TSM (again w/ disable sessions, nomigrrecl, disablesched)
>10) cleanup backupgroups
>13) restart TSM (sessions enabled, uncomment nomigrrecl/disablesched)""

 I'm getting confused about the cleanup backupgroups thing as there seem to be
some problems with it. Why do you need to do a 'delete system object' prior to
the upgrade and what is the command for it?

Johnn says it will speed up the cleanup backupgroup later on the TSM 5.1.5
server. What does this command do (don't find anything in the reference quide)?
Are the issues that there were with 'cleanup backupgroup' (it was running as a
foreground process and took forever) fixed in 5.1.5?

Any other issues I might expect?

Thanks,
Kurt