ADSM-L

Re: 3583 FC Problem

2002-10-08 14:24:06
Subject: Re: 3583 FC Problem
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:08:52 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Joshua Bassi
> I have already read this Redbook.  I have been working with IBM Level 2
> support to resolve the issue and thus far nothing is working.  I can use
> lbtest from NT to mount and unmount tapes, but when TSM goes to load a
> tape it loads successful but then can't seem to do anything with it.  I
> have the local IBM CE coming out (again!) today to test the tape drives.

A good beer says you've got a mismatch of element numbers with LUN numbers.
That would explain
1) why lbtest works fine
2) why the library will load a tape (tape load uses the LUN to locate the
device), but also why it can't read, write, or unload the tape. (These
operations use the element number.)

Element match with fiber drives is tricky. Your best bet is disable (via upd
path) all drives but one, and use trial and error to get the element right.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE