ADSM-L

3584 LTO Tape/Drive/Library problems

2002-10-08 13:47:21
Subject: 3584 LTO Tape/Drive/Library problems
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:20:54 -0400
I have a 3584-L32 with 8 FC-AL Drives and IBM tapes. Connected to
AIX 4.3.3  ML10 and TSM Server 4.2.2.10 through the 2 Gigabit
FC Adapters and McData ES-1000 switches (Local - not on Fabric).
Atape driver is 7.1.1.0.  Library code is 2460 and Drives is 25D4.

1.  I have had two instances of a tape stuck in drive and the drive
had to be dismantled to get tape out.  IBM CE found the leader pin
on the tape cartridge was out of alignment. These instances were
several months apart and on different tapes and drives.  He indicates
that this has happened nationwide and the belief is that tapes are
being dropped.  Both cases here were in checking in Scratch tapes.
I have insytaructed Operators in how to check tapes and I see in
3584 manual where they recommend this check.

Anyone have similar experience or comments?

2.  Have also had cases where tape gets write error and TSM
terminates operation on this tape and picks another one.  A few times
the tape remained in the drive for maybe 10 - 20 minutes before it
dismounted.  Have had error about every 2 weeks for months even
though have been using library more each week.  The Firmware on
library and drives was updated to current about 3 months ago. Also
upgraded Atape to current version.  It seems to have reduced
this some but not completely.

I had gotten suspicious that this was happening on one drive, the one
with the Control Path.  I changed the control path to another drive
for
a month or so and sure enough this drive now gets the write error (
and maybe the slow dismount).  Essentially I have had NO ERRORS
on any drives except the one on the control path (or the one that
got the tape with bad leader ping alignment).

Doe sanyone have any input from IBM Tucson on this or any other
info?

Thanks,

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 10/08/2002 01:22:22 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.