ADSM-L

Re: Help requested !!!

2002-10-07 01:51:51
Subject: Re: Help requested !!!
From: Murthy V Gongala <gmurthy AT IN.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:19:22 +0530
Steve,

I had defined an extra volume for the pool. It didn't work.

The Maxscratch is set to 18. Here is the O/P of   "q stg  tech_tape_pool
f=d"

Storage Pool Name:     TECH_TAPE_POOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: ULTRIUM
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 3,427,979.5
                        Pct Util: 1.6
                        Pct Migr: 10.0
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 90
                     Low Mig Pct: 70
                 Migration Delay: 9,999
              Migration Continue: No
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: 2 G
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                       Collocate: No
           Reclamation Threshold: 60
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 18
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 30 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: Yes
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed: 053ABS
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
           Last Update Date/Time: 03/02/02 22:56:10
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native

Thanks in advance
regards
murthy

                      Steve Harris
                      <Steve_Harris@HEALTH.        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      QLD.GOV.AU>                  cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist         Subject:  Re: Help requested
!!!
                      Stor Manager"
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                      10/07/2002 10:50 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Murthy

Check the maxscratch parameter on the tech_tape_pool storage pool with q
stg  tech_tape_pool f=d
You can either increase this number with upd stg to allow more scratch
tapes to be used by this pool, or use define volume to explicitly add
volumes to the pool.

Once you have done that your reclaim should work.

HTH

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> gmurthy AT IN.IBM DOT COM 07/10/2002 15:07:43 >>>
Hi All,

I have a big problem here. Help requested.

I have a 3583 LTO library with 2 drives. TSM Server v4.2 on AIX.

I have been running Scheduled backups without any problems so far.

Yesterday the server started reclamation process for one of the Storage
pools as shown below.

784 Space Reclamation    Volume 053ABS (storage pool TECH_TAPE_POOL),
                               Moved Files: 0, Moved Bytes: 0, Unreadable

                               Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes: 0. Current
Physical
                               File (bytes): 10,487,404
Waiting for mount of
                               input volume 053ABS (68221 seconds).

Some of the activity log entries are :

ANR1040I Space reclamation started for volume 053ABS,
                       storage pool TECH_TAPE_POOL (process number 723).

10/06/02 14:06:19     ANR1044I Removable volume 053ABS is required for
space
                       reclamation.

10/06/02 14:06:19     ANR1044I Removable volume 041ABS is required for
space
                       reclamation.

10/06/02 14:06:21     ANR1405W Scratch volume mount request denied - no
scratch
                       volume available.
10/06/02 14:06:24     ANR1405W Scratch volume mount request denied - no
scratch
                       volume available.

10/06/02 14:06:26     ANR1405W Scratch volume mount request denied - no
scratch
                       volume available.

10/06/02 14:06:26     ANR0985I Process 723 for SPACE RECLAMATION running in
the
                       BACKGROUND completed with completion state FAILURE
at
                       14:06:26.

10/06/02 14:06:26     ANR1086W Space reclamation terminated for volume
053ABS -
                       insufficient space in storage pool.

The volume status shows no errors with the volume.

 Volume Name             053ABS

 Storage Pool Name       TECH_TAPE_POOL

 Device Class Name       ULTRIUM

 Estimated Capacity (MB) 137997.9

 Pct Util                0.0

 Volume Status           FULL

 Access                  READWRITE

 Pct. Reclaimable Space  99.9

 Scratch Volume?         Yes

 In Error State?         No

 Number of Writable      1
 Sides

 Number of Times Mounted 12827

 Write Pass Number       1

Even though both the tape Drives are free, and a scratch volume is made
available, all the migration processes are Held up.

Could somebody help me understand & suggest a solution to the problem here.

Thanks in advance

regards
murthy

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.