ADSM-L

Re: offsite tape destroyed

2002-10-04 13:51:41
Subject: Re: offsite tape destroyed
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:58:43 -0500
When dealing with multiple primary storage pools being copied to a single
copy storage pool, it might be better to use "move data".  And yes, you can
move data from a copy storage pool volume as long as it is set to
access=offsite (unavailable works, too, I think).

move data will work
OR
delete volume xxxxx discarddata=yes
then
backup stg primary_stgpool copy_stgpool (for EACH primary_stgpool) will
work.

|--------+------------------------------>
|        |          David Longo         |
|        |          <David.Longo@HEALTH-|
|        |          FIRST.ORG>          |
|        |          Sent by: "ADSM: Dist|
|        |          Stor Manager"       |
|        |          <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED|
|        |          U>                  |
|        |                              |
|        |                              |
|        |          10/04/02 10:20 AM   |
|        |          Please respond to   |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist Stor    |
|        |          Manager"            |
|        |                              |
|--------+------------------------------>

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                             |
  |      cc:
                                      |
  |      Fax to:
                                      |
  |      Subject:     Re: offsite tape destroyed
                                      |

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

If an offsite tape (COPYPOOL) is destroyed then it is simple.
Do a DEL VOL blah discarddata=yes, for the destroyed volume.
When that is complete then do a Backup STG blah blah and this
will recopy the data (and any data not copied) from the onsite pool
to a new tape on the offsite pool.

The TSM DB keeps track and knows that the copy has been deleted so it
recopies at next backup stg process run.

You can't do a Move Data because the original volume is destroyed.

David Longo

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 10/04/02 10:54AM >>>
I did a quick search of some stuff I have and can't find an answer,
plus I
just don't have time to sit and look this morning so I need a bit of
help.
If an offsite tape is destroyed what are the steps to deal with this. I
know
it's not the same for a primary stg pool.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:   gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 10/04/2002 11:21:54 AM

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular
entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views
or opinions.