ADSM-L

Re: offsite tape destroyed

2002-10-04 11:51:14
Subject: Re: offsite tape destroyed
From: KEN HORACEK <KHORACEK AT INCSYSTEM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:43:12 -0700
David,
I don't want to belabor this issue but......
If the destroyed offsite tape was moved to the VAULT with MOVEDRMEDIA, then
MOVE DATA will work.  Since, "The TSM DB keeps track and knows" what data is
where, the "new" offsite volume will be reconstructed from the data in the
onsite pool.  It's nice to know that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Ken
khoracek AT incsystem DOT com

>>> David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG 10/04/2002 8:20:34 AM >>>
If an offsite tape (COPYPOOL) is destroyed then it is simple.
Do a DEL VOL blah discarddata=yes, for the destroyed volume.
When that is complete then do a Backup STG blah blah and this
will recopy the data (and any data not copied) from the onsite pool
to a new tape on the offsite pool.

The TSM DB keeps track and knows that the copy has been deleted so it
recopies at next backup stg process run.

You can't do a Move Data because the original volume is destroyed.

David Longo

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 10/04/02 10:54AM >>>
I did a quick search of some stuff I have and can't find an answer,
plus I
just don't have time to sit and look this morning so I need a bit of
help.
If an offsite tape is destroyed what are the steps to deal with this. I
know
it's not the same for a primary stg pool.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:   gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
annotations on 10/04/2002 11:21:54 AM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.

<<<<GWIASIG 0.07>>>>