ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SAP R/3 on Solaris

2002-10-03 21:19:10
Subject: Re: TDP for SAP R/3 on Solaris
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 01:18:25 +0000
Hot Diggety! Seay, Paul was rumored to have written:
> Is anyone using the TDP for SAP R/3 3.2.0.11 on Solaris 2.8 with Oracle
> 8.1.7 at SAP 4.6c2?

Not I, unfortunately.

> No matter what we do we seem to have serious problems with restores and
> difficulty implementing the TDP in production.  The restores hang about half
> way through.  Backups usually work.
>
> We are just at wits end trying to figure out what is going on.

Well, one place to start might be doing something like this:

# truss -f -p <dsmc pid> -o /tmp/dsmc-truss.log

Then get an UNIX expert to look at the output of that logfile, to see
if there's any really obvious thing such as blocking on a particular
resource or action. (I don't mean to offend -- I don't know how much
you know about UNIX, and you did mention a mainframe background. If
you're used to UNIX internals, then please accept my apologies. :) )

truss is the Solaris utility used to trace system calls performed by
an application; sometimes it tells you exactly why something broke,
but you need someone with an understanding of UNIX system calls, what
looks normal and what isn't, and some experience in decoding truss
output.

It may generate voluminous logs, so it's good to run it for a few minutes
or however long it takes to capture a good 'snapshot' of dsmc's activity.
Can be started once the restore stalls.

It's not guaranteed to give you the answer, but for the situation you
describe (hanging), it's certainly what I'd have started with, myself.
It might point to waiting on a response from the TSM server -- in which,
it might be a TSM server-specific issue (threading, blocking on I/O,
etc), or it might point to some other local oddity and culprit.

Finally, Sun's constantly fixing a lot of all sorts of OS-specific things
'under the hoods' that may have interesting impact on applications...
so there's always a chance that a recent OS patch set may fix it.

-Dan