ADSM-L

Re: TSM: DB Best Practises ?

2002-10-03 16:44:12
Subject: Re: TSM: DB Best Practises ?
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:41:21 -0400
Rafael Mendez wrote, in part:
Hi Riaan,
I would like to share with you my experience here. I have seen how people
administering TSM server forget how important is to have planned the AUDITDB.
Just one week ago, one of our customers HAD TO execute an audit db after 3
years of not to do it. That causes the TSM server had to be stopped for more
than 50 hours!!!!!!. (50 hours without backup or any possibility to restore).
So, with this expample, my personal opinion is, TSM server administrator should plan one
(at least) or two "audit db" a year.
Of course, I am concius about to stop TSM server is not an easy issue but lots
of problems could be avoided running the AUDIT DB.
It would be interesting that someone outhere gives us a point of view on this
issue.

I'm of the opinion that if a full-blown auditdb can't be avoided, it's
time to start planning for your next B/R vendor.  So far, I live with
some warts, and tech support has in a couple of instances found
work-arounds to the full dbaudit.  Just one point of view.

cheers, wayne
--

Wayne T. Smith -- ADSM AT Maine DOT edu -- University of Maine System -- UNET