ADSM-L

Re: DB Best Practises ?

2002-10-03 09:27:25
Subject: Re: DB Best Practises ?
From: "Large, Matthew" <Matthew.Large AT LLOYDSTSB.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:25:14 +0100
Hi Riaan,

Welcome to our 'world'...
your short list covers the essentials, although the extra TSM snapshot I
would deem unnecessary. I'll let a. n. other bod(s) chat about other
approaches..

You cannot load in a tape and expect TSM to read it and know what to do with
it. The TSM database tracks the location of all the files it receives and
when tapes are loaded they're either to move data onto froma client or from
another tape/disk residing within the TSM storage heirarchy, or to perform
restores. Essentially, TSM can only read from a tape it wrote to, and even
then it knows what the volume contains.

Assuming you have some flavour of UNIX, a good idea might be to

'dd /dev/(full path to device) > /(path to file)'

copy the contents to disk and examine it from there.
Perhaps there are 'better' ways of doing this, but I can only think of this
one right now.
'cpio and 'tar' may prove to be better choices depending on the format of
the data currently residing on your tape.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Large
TSM Infrastructure Engineer
Lavington Street