ADSM-L

Orphan backupset tape

2002-10-02 11:18:34
Subject: Orphan backupset tape
From: Werner Kliewer <VKliewer AT MPI.MB DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:14:49 -0500
We have an NSM still running TSM 4.1.3. In it we have an LTO cartridge in the
library that is marked in the libvols and volhist tables as being part of a
backupset. The backupset has been deleted - actually, it expired - at some
point in the past, but I cannot reclaim the cartridge for the scratch pool.
Neither the "update libvol" nor "update volhist" commands will allow me to
update the cartridge.

How do I clear the rows from the database (these two and any other tables that
may be involved) so that I can reclaim the cartridge?

If it cannot be done at 4.1.3, will it be possible at the 4.2.1 level which is
the next level we can upgrade the NSM to? How about 4.2.2 which we will need to
get to to solve some PMR's we have open.

Or do I have to open a PMR for this one as well?

Werner Kliewer
in Winnipeg