ADSM-L

Consolidating disk/tape pools

2002-10-01 11:19:57
Subject: Consolidating disk/tape pools
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:25:07 -0700
I know this has been discussed somewhat recently so I thought I'd see if
anyone who might have changed and gone this route has any comments.

I've been thinking about combining 3-4 disk/tape pools into one. I thought I
might get better usage of the disk as a whole, instead of some being 30%
full and others overflowing and having to dump to tape during the backups.
If you've had any good or bad experience with this could you pass it on
please?

I would guess from time to time I could "move data" to get the tapes to all
combine. I also think that after time it would all migrate on its own
through reclamation right?

I have co-location on for the onsite tape pools only.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154