ADSM-L

Re: 3584 tape questions

2002-09-30 21:19:30
Subject: Re: 3584 tape questions
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:18:02 -0500

I'm not real sure about LTO, but I *think* this includes some head
alignment/calibration for optimum signal (DLT does this).

>         2. There's two label sources -- one is the barcode
> scanner, which
>            works great and *very* quick, and it seems the other label
>            source is on the tape somewhere.
>
>            Where exactly on the tape is the label preserved,
> other than the
>            volser bar code label? Is it in the LTO-CM area of
> the tape? Or
>            is it on the first part of the tape, or something?

TSM uses ANSI standard VOL1/HDR1 labels on the tape. Format is 80 character
unblocked, followed by a tape mark. There should also be a trailer label at
the end of the tape if they're following the ANSI spec, but I haven't
verified this.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc