ADSM-L

Re: Compare TSM/Legato and Veritas - Version 2

2002-09-29 19:47:17
Subject: Re: Compare TSM/Legato and Veritas - Version 2
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 00:00:03 +0300
Find below what I think needs correction (for version 2.01 :). Correct me
where I am wrong. Generic comment - the document is somewhat one-sided
comparing which Networker features exist/do not exist in TSM, the reverse
comparison which TSM features Networker does not have is weak or missing.
I've tried to fill the gap partially but it needs more work. On the end
table is only for Networker and TSM. To be complete and closer to the
subject we still need the third column for NetBackup

Terms 10: client file index - its TSM equivalent is node files' entries in
BACKUPS table + DIRMC written data to pool. Definitely is not the whole
DB.
Terms 16: media database - TSM tables VOLUMES and As.Segments (latter is
hidden and inaccessible through select queries). Again not the whole DB
Terms 18+: parallelism - Networker - number of clients backing to server
or number of clients writing to a volume (p.115 Admin's Guide), TSM -
number of parallel sessions from one or more clients
Terms 18++: reclamation - Networker - N/A, TSM - reconcile free space on a
volume when is under-utilized
Terms 20: save set - roughly equivalent to TSM filespace, could be either
a filesystem or directory identified by virtualmountpoint
Terms 21: save set consolidation - definitely is *not* "~ backupset".This
is manual and post-factum consolidation performing small part of
"progressive backup". If consolidated backups can be performed for *each*
client and *each* save set the functionality would be somewhat similar to
TSM's (otherwise good old well-known full+incremental). Consolidated
backups are not done on-the-fly and are subject to too many limitations
described on p.320-321 WinAG. Still far from version tracking "progressive
backup" provides in TSM.
Terms N+1 - no TSM terms described
Platforms 13&16: Linux - ITSM on the end supports Linux, Red Hat and SuSE
plus maybe others
Platforms 36+: IBM NAS - TSM supports them (through integrated Windows
client)
Platforms 36++: IBM OS/2 - TSM does have client
Platforms 48 - ADSM client can backup SunOS to TSM server (being old
version is unsupported, I do not know and am interrested to know does
really Legato support SunOS)
Platforms 94: SAP R/3 on Oracle - TSM does not support Oracle on Compaq
Tru64 and Linux, so ... maybe the cell was copied with intention for edit
,-)
Functions 9+: retention - Networker - for whole save set, TSM - using
management classes down to individual file/directory
Functions 9++: deleted files - Networker does not have handling of deleted
files (you have to find when the file was deleted), TSM completely handles
versions and retension of deleted files
Functions 10: archive - Networker requires additional pool (and volumes)
for archives
Functions 10+: archive retention - Networker - none (indefinite), TSM -
based on archive copygroup settings
Functions 14: cacheing of staged save sets - a TSM functionality is better
to be described with neutral or TSM terms
Functions 24: communication method - TSM supports also Named pipes (plus
NetBIOS and IPX/SPX for old clients)
Functions 28+: data streams to/from client - NetWorker - 1 (manual&static
division to several client/save set backups is the only way for more), TSM
- up to 10 threads/sessions (according to manual, even I was able to get
more) with dynamic load-spreading for backup/archive/restore. Look
Functions 40.
Functions 30: devices - Networker - 4/16/32 for the server + 16/32 for
each storage node (p.116 or 249 Admin's Guide, max 256 for any
server+nodes combination), TSM - up to 256 per library/devclass (total is
practically unlimited - in SAN a TSM library manager server can perform
mounts while other servers/STAs will do writes)
Functions 31+: media reclamation - Networker - none (has to wait all save
sets on a volume to expire), TSM - automatic based on volume's freed
(reclaimable) space. As described in Other 21
Functions 36+: parallelism - Networker - 32/64 for the server + 32 for
each storage node (p.116 Admin's Guide), TSM - unlimited (p.974 in Admin
Ref, GC32-0769-00, same URL with 0769)
Functions 36++: parallel scheduled sessions narrowing - Networker - none,
TSM - MAXSCHEDSESSIONS percentage (p.759 Admin Ref)
Functions 37: password protection - Networker - manual define/change (not
enabled by default), TSM - Yes (with automatic expiration/change + mail of
new pass)
Functions 40: multi-session parallelism - Networker - static & manual, TSM
- dynamic & automatic
Functions 43+: server script schedules - lack of server scripting leads to
lack of need for administrative schedules
Other 2: archiving on UNIX clients - TSM can retrieve single files from
any archive on any platform
Other 3: bootstrap, backup - the TSM database can be backed up manually,
by administrative schedule and by backup trigger (p- 513).
TSM DB backups can be either Full or Incrmental. Networker bootstrap is
only full, isn't it.
Other 7: Client, renaming - TSM is one step process for UNIX and might
need more steps for Windows (filespaces have to be renamed from
\\<old_hostname>\c$ to \\<new_name>\c$)
Other 8: cloning - TSM uses intelligent restartable "progressive backup"
technology to make additional copies of storage pool data from whole node
down to a single file
Other 12: filesystem getting full - TSM database and log volumes can span
many disks/filesystems for both scalability and performance
Other 15: licensing, cluster clients - TSM does not differentiate between
cluster and standalone clients. Load-ballancing (active/active) clusters
require licenses for all nodes while failover (active/passive) clusters
require licenses only for single (active) node. Look definition of
"standby or backup systems" in
enhanced-value-based-pricing-definitions-4-8-02.pdf
Other 16: licensing, server - ITSM 60-day "try and buy" license (since
v5.1), server processor license is same price as (cluster or not) client
license.
Other 16+: licensing, silos, libraries and autoloaders - Networker - I do
not know but would like to, ITSM - Base Edition for up to 3 drives and 40
slots and eXtended Edition if either limit is passed.
Other 17: manual backups - Networker also cannot consolidate manual
backup's save sets
Other 18: recovery, case sensitive - TSM handles properly file names' case
- case-sensitive in UNIX-like systems and case-insensitive (but preserving
mixed case) in Windows, OS/2, etc.
Other 23: save set consolidation - TSM consolidation of backups is
performed on-the-fly as part of "progressive backup" technology down to
single file instead of backup/save set level.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Rupp Thomas (Illwerke)" <thomas.rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
27.08.2002 19:43