ADSM-L

Re: Withdrawal of 3570 Magstar

2002-09-28 23:10:10
Subject: Re: Withdrawal of 3570 Magstar
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:04:28 +0000
Hot Diggety! Dan Foster was rumored to have written:
> Hot Diggety! Emil S. Hansen was rumored to have written:
> >
> > How about setting the mount retention for the devclass to something like
> > 10 to 30 mins? That will keep the tape mounted for at least 10 mins
> > after the last access, so that if the tape is needed by the client it
> > will likely still be mounted.
>
> That's just the catch; mount retention was indeed set to 10 minutes.
>
> Yet, according to q actlog, TSM 4.2 was in a big hurry to dismount it
> for no apparent reason. I'm still rebuilding the 5.1 setup, and will
> retry the same tests once ready.

Well, appears that it now works correctly for me in TSM 5.1 -- it does
not unmount tape after the write completes... keeps it available in the
tape drive for any subsequent writes. No need to set KEEPMP=YES in the
client node definition.

Don't know what was wrong with TSM 4.2; I set up 5.1 with the identical
settings (I'd documented the step by step install and followed it) except
with some updated commands such as for library, drive, and path configs.

Oh well. Works great now. :) I'm liking what I see of TSM 5.1 so far.

-Dan