ADSM-L

Re: how to keep all data on disk for quicker restores

2002-09-26 21:14:18
Subject: Re: how to keep all data on disk for quicker restores
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:28:52 +1000
Paul,

There are a number of SCSI-IDE or FC-IDE raid arrays out there.
One of these I was looking at had 16 slots and 16 IDE busses, with 200GB disk
on each.  Thats 3TB of disk.It also had virtual tape support - which on the
surface seems intriguing too.

If this was configured mostly as TSM sequential file storage, on a filesystem
with huge capacity (AIX JFS2 for instance), then you could possibly get away
with what your management wants and only have to do a selective say  once every
three months to keep the active data on disk.  This is where a "migrate
inactive" command would be handy.

Now such disk subsystems aren't cheap, but compared to Enterprise class EMC or
IBM arrays they are peanuts and sequential backup pool performance won't be
much of an issue.

I know people have talked about this sort of thing on the list before.  Is
anybody doing it?

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> PCoviello AT CMC-NH DOT ORG 27/09/2002 6:00:22 >>>
Hi as the subject refers to "how to keep all data on disk for quicker
restores"  I have been tasked, again, to change the way TSM operates and to
do a scheduled full backup once a week and incrementals in between. ( stop
laughing! )
we currently have an H70 running AIX with an ATL P2000 100 tape library.
and others in the dept want to have data so that at any point we can restore
a system from disk. and not tape unless of a disaster.  we currently have
vers set for 30 and no co-location. our diskpool is currently 60gb  we seem
to backup approx 80gb a night.

  if anyone would like to share thier thoughts... because mine are going
very quickly

thanks
Paul

        Paul J Coviello
        Sr Systems Analyst
        Catholic Medical Center
        2456 Brown Ave
        Manchester, NH 03103
        603 663-5326

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.