ADSM-L

Re: HELP!... What processes can/can't run simultaneously and what throttles throughput on backup sessions ?

2002-09-26 07:31:41
Subject: Re: HELP!... What processes can/can't run simultaneously and what throttles throughput on backup sessions ?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:16:44 +0300
Shortly speaking - try to disable compression and things can speed up
dramatically. The reason:
You have to take in the consideration that client-side TSM compression is
single-threaded and thus is limited by the (single) processor power. And
your Domino server might be busy enough. 566kB/s compressed data rate on
low-freq Pentium II/III (even on 4-way server) might be the best you can
squeeze from the processor. The best compression rate I've ever seen was
about 3 MB/s compressed per processor on 750 MHz RS64-IV (RS/6000 M80).
SMP can be utilized only if you increase resource utilization in dsm.opt

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Barbara Andrews <BAndrews AT ERIE1.WNYRIC DOT ORG>
24.09.2002 22:05