ADSM-L

Re: Help!!!!!!!! What does <CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP> do????????

2002-09-25 13:33:45
Subject: Re: Help!!!!!!!! What does <CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP> do????????
From: John Underdown <johnunderdown AT STI.SYNOVUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:32:04 -0400
Joel,

It's looks like "CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP" does a partial online auditdb fix=yes.
Also the APAR's listed below looks like the problem i'm having with AUDITDB so
it's a good prelude to this weekend's auditdb.

john

APAR= IC33977  SER=                            IN INCORROUT
THREADID<0> ERROR 8 CONVERTING GROUP.MEMBERS TOBACKUP.GROUPS
MESSAGE ISSUED WHEN UPGRADING TO 5.1 SERVER.

Problem Conclusion:
The TSM server has been modified to prevent the case where some of the members
of a grouped set of backup files may not have been deleted when they should
have been.

The server has also been modified to provide the command "CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP".
 This command will cause the server to evaluate all the defined groups of
backup files in-use on the server and remove any extraneous or orphaned members
that should have previously been deleted.

If the server encounters an orphaned backup group member during an upgrade from
V4.2 to V5.1, the server will issue the following message:

"ANR9999D iminit.c(xxxx):  ThreadId<X> Orphaned group member encountered -
issue CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP to resolve this issue."

If this message is encountered during an UPGRADEDDB from V4.2 to V5.1, simply
issue this command and the server database will evaluate and find any orphaned
group members and remove them.

APAR= IC34159

AUDIT DB EXCESSIVETIME MSGANR4306I AUDITDB PROCESSED DATABASE ENTRIES NOT
CHANGING ANR4306I

Apar Information:

RCOMP= 5698ISMSV    TSM SERVER 510  RREL= R51W
FCOMP=                              PFREL= F999  TREL= T
SRLS:

Return Codes:

Applicable Component Level/SU:

Error Description:
Audit DB for the TSM database takes an excessive amount of time and the entires
processed does not increment for long periods of time.

A message such as:
ANR4306I AUDITDB: Processed 22170066 database entries (cumulativ

Local Fix:
Avoid running the audit if the audit fix=no shows thousands of these entries.

Comments:
APAR IC33977 documents this problem and the "CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP" command that
was added.  The CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP command will resolve this problem
without needing to perform an AUDITDB of the server database.

>>> Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT cac.washington DOT edu> 09/25/02 12:39PM >>>
Like you, I could not find any documentation but I didn't look very hard
since Tivoli support told me to run it to solve a problem.  On 5.1.1.4 the
first run took about 1 hour on my 10 GB database.  I didn't check for
changes in the db size, so I don't know if the db size was reduced.  I
finally ran had to run AUDITDB FIX=YES to clean up the mess.  Be sure your
server is 5.1.1.6.