ADSM-L

Re: Help,cartridge remove question

2002-09-25 10:44:25
Subject: Re: Help,cartridge remove question
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:37:57 -0400
1.  You don't need to do a DB backup for this.

2.  Suggest first running
q media stg=stgpol_name wherestate=mountableinlib days=10
This will show you how many tapes haven't been accessed in 10 days.
run again changing the days parameter to get the approximate number
of tapes you want/need to remove.  This "days" is better because
it reduces, but doesn't eliminate, the chnace that these tapes will
be requested back in the library soon.

The run "move media * stg=stgpoolname wherestate=mountableinlib
days=X"
This will start the process of checking them out to your bulk i/o
slots just like normal checkouts.

4.  The meaning   of "deletes volume from library inventory"
is merely that the volume won't show up in a "q libvol command or
with any of the 3494 library manager commands.  The DB though knows
that the tape exists and is out of the library.

5.  When tape is needed for reclamations or restores, a message
will be logged in actlog requesting the mount of the tape.  Your
operations people have to monitor this carefully now to prevent long
delays.

David Longo

>>> fenglimian AT 163 DOT COM 09/25/02 06:08AM >>>
Trinh, Tony,
   Thank you very much!I'm in China.Now about 800 cartridge shill
remove from the library,can I use this operation:
ADSM>checkout libv XXXX(library name) volrange=bar001,bar800(if the
label is sequential) remove=yes
        Must I backup DB before I do this?
   The other thing I want to know is that:from the output of the "help
checkout" I saw "Specifies that a volume is placed into the bulk I/O
station. The server deletes the volume entry from the server library
inventory."  what is the meaning?The contents of the cartridge still in
the cartridge?
   The last thing I want to ask for advice is that  I can open the
library door and remove these cartridge manual,then I input my new
cartridge manual again and label them?

Thanks and regards!
     Feng

>Feng,
>
>The best way to perform the checkout is:
>
>ADSM>checkout libv XXXX **** rem=yes
>
>(XXXX) the library name
>(****) the volume number
>
>May I ask where are you located?
>

>Your humble servant,
>--= Tony Trinh
>     Tivoli Storage Manager Admin (TSM)
>     c: 408-221-7867
>     Storage, Backup - Intel Online Services =--
>
>@}---}---}-----
>
>"No matter how well we do something, there is always something we can
do
>better" - Joel Robuchon

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 09/25/2002 10:39:17 AM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.