ADSM-L

Reading data from tape

2002-09-23 18:10:21
Subject: Reading data from tape
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:08:25 -0700
I hope someone has a real good knowledge of how TSM data is written to/read
from tape. I'm in a predicament that I may never be able to get tapes back
to read any node data off of them unless I can satisfactorily answer
questions. Unfortunately I don't know the questions yet so I don't even know
what to ask here. Perhaps someone who is knowledgeable about 3590 tape
technology or someone from Tivoli monitoring the list can help with this. I
hate to have to call Tivoli since so far I haven't got much in the way of
answers on the other questions I've been asking on classified material on
tape.

What kind of questions would you expect to answer if a tape was removed from
the library with mixed node data on it and it was needed to restore some
other node's data. Keep in mind that the tape was removed because it
originally had classified material stored on it. It may or may not still
have the data depending on expiration. I already know how to explain the ins
and outs of expiration/reclamation but we all know the "DATA" is really
still there. My guess is I'm never really going to be able to get these
tapes back and whatever data was on them is probably gone forever but I need
to at least be able to answer some questions like are they indexed or how
the data is stored, how it's read back etc.

Thanks for the help,
Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154