ADSM-L

Re: RAW volumes or not

2002-09-22 13:49:03
Subject: Re: RAW volumes or not
From: "Cowperthwaite, Eric" <eric.cowperthwaite AT EDS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:43:02 -0400
I run my TSM servers on Solaris 8. I use raw volumes built with Solstice
DiskSuite (Solaris Volume Manager in Solaris 9). When I first brought TSM up
on Solaris I put my db, logs and disk pools on UFS with logging and the
performance was awful. Solaris 8 UFS is actually quite fast for most
applications so I was rather surprised at the performance problem. I've
never tried TSM using VxFS, I saw no need to. The performance with raw
volumes is very good.

JFS is not native to Solaris, and I don't know of any way to use JFS on
Solaris. If you want a journalled file system use VxFS or UFS with logging.
With the improvements in DiskSuite I really can't see much reason to use
Veritas. It's costly and for most environments only gives minimal
performance improvements.

Eric Cowperthwaite
EDS Operations Solutions