ADSM-L

Re: RAW volumes or not

2002-09-21 15:37:13
Subject: Re: RAW volumes or not
From: Bob Booth - UIUC <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:34:09 -0500
I have used both on AIX, and really have never seen a difference either way.

I use LVM raw volumes for both, since I find them easier to deal with.  TSM
mirrors the database/log volumes, and AIX mirrors the storage pool volumes.

TSM V5 can utilize AIO for JFS under with AIX, and this is a different ball-
game altogether.  I am not actually sure if JFS is native on Solaris, you have
to have Veritas installed, and this will render a significant improvment over
the native Solaris filesystem I/O.  Check with your sources to see if they
are indeed running Veritas on their Sun systems.  I have compared VXFS and
AIX JFS on machines of the same performance characteristics, and they perform
about the same (under various tests VXFS did beat JFS, I used IOZONE).

Seeing arguments either way, I use raw LV's for ease of configuation and
smaller overhead (no jfslog, etc).

good luck.

bob