ADSM-L

Re: DB Volume "Reorg" using Delete DBVOLUME

2002-09-20 16:04:07
Subject: Re: DB Volume "Reorg" using Delete DBVOLUME
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:00:27 -0400
That would be a nice feature, but, at least on my Tivoli ADSM V3 server,
 doing a couple of volumes (about 5 gig out of 15 in use) had no effect
on reported % utilization whatsoever.    cheers, wayne

Seay, Paul wrote, in part:
One of our TSM Support Staff members went to the advanced class and was led
to believe you could get some reorg benefits doing the following

        Define New DB Volumes whereever you want them.
        Perform DELETE DBVOLUME commands on each of the existing DBVOLUMEs
one at a time which causes the data to be moved.

Our DBVOLUMES are on ESS disk so they are not mirrored.  Thus, the delete
causes a move of all the current data to other volumes.

Has anyone ever heard of doing this to get some reorganization benefits?
If so, were the benefits, mild or significant?

I would not be surprised if massive filespace deletes could be recaptured by
doing this.