ADSM-L

Re: 3584 tape questions

2002-09-19 13:36:32
Subject: Re: 3584 tape questions
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:19:59 -0400
1.  I have 3584-L32 with FC-AL drives.  Yes I think that time is normal.

It includes mounting and reading label.  The fast mount  you mention
is
the Robot putting tape in drive.  It takes much longer for a tape to
actually be "mounted" as viewed by "q mount" or by "q proesss" and
seeing how long it's waiting for mount.

2.  You have to use "Label Libvol" for each new tape.  I believe the
"label"
is written in header of tape like other tape formats.  Maybe it's in
the
LTO-CM also.  Yes, it is possible to overwrite the tape - though not
likely
in "normal" operations.

David Longo

>>> dsf AT GBLX DOT NET 09/18/02 10:25PM >>>
I've finally got the new 3584 library up and worked through all
hardware
and TSM issues, and just finished with the first round of successful
tests.
Looks sharp! Currently tuning the setup (disk, memory, network, TSM,
etc).

Environment: AIX 4.3.3 ML10, pSeries 660-6H1, TSM 4.2 (5.1 next week)
to 4.2.2.12, SCSI attachment to host, 3584-L32 and 3584-D32 frames.

Two questions about 3584 tapes --

        1. Is it normal for it to take 45 seconds to read/verify the
           label on the tape? The tape load itself is pretty quick,
but
           takes forever-and-an-half to read/verify the label.

        2. There's two label sources -- one is the barcode scanner,
which
           works great and *very* quick, and it seems the other label
           source is on the tape somewhere.

           Where exactly on the tape is the label preserved, other than
the
           volser bar code label? Is it in the LTO-CM area of the tape?
Or
           is it on the first part of the tape, or something?

           I'm curious about this because the implications is that if
           do destructive read-write tests with tapes involving
overwrite,
           I might potentially overwrite the label, and have to relabel
it?

           The documentation suggests that 'LABEL LIBVOL' for a 3584
would
           update label in the LTO-CM area of the tape cartridge, but
it
           isn't real definite or clear on that point.

-Dan

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 09/19/2002 01:21:29 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.