ADSM-L

Re: Backup reporting

2002-09-19 03:51:11
Subject: Re: Backup reporting
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT RZ.UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:41:16 +0200
Hello All,

i have two questions on this:
In our server all and only the backup-data is going through migration pools.
Comparing this size with the
"Amount of backup files, in kilobytes, sent by the client to the server"
this more real (i believe) backup-data-size_counted-by-migration
has a nearly constant difference of about 15-20 % , no matter what time-period
is selected.

for example:
tsm: ADSMAIX>select sum(cast(bytes/1024/1024/1024 as decimal(6,3))) "Total GB
Backup from backup_activity" from summary where start_time>=current_timestamp
-30 day and activity='BACKUP'

Total GB Backup from backup_activity
------------------------------------
                            1928.968

tsm: ADSMAIX>select sum(cast(bytes/1024/1024/1024 as decimal(6,3))) "Total GB
Backup from migration_activity" from summary where start_time>=current_timestamp
-30 day and activity='MIGRATION'

Total GB Backup from migration_activity
---------------------------------------
                               1631.496

Question 1 : is it ok to get the datasize of whats being backed up by
the migration ( assuming there is really nothing else doing migration,
like 'move data' ... and accepting that the time_period is slightly shifted )
 or is there another way to get the size of Backup data ?

Question 2: we are using archive writing directly onto tapes, and if using
the summary with activity='ARCHIVE' the output may be also too high.
My idea is to get the amount of archive data by the summary of
activity 'STGPOOL BACKUP' together with entity=... .
Is this ok (accepting some time_shifting ) or is there another
way to get the Numer of bytes being archived , some sql script ?

Thanks for any hint !
Rainer