ADSM-L

Re: Large files > 2GB

2002-09-18 12:22:56
Subject: Re: Large files > 2GB
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:16:14 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Michael O'Brien
> Thanks for the replys, I've check to see if there's a maximum
> size theshold on
> the storage pool. I have included the output when I try to backup
> a 5GB file
>
> [cwspr01]# dsmc incre /u03/backups/data_PROD_3809_472860773
> Tivoli Storage Manager
> Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 4, Release 1, Level 2.0
> (C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 2000, All Rights Reserved.
>
> Node Name: CWSPR01_BA
> Session established with server SERVER1: HP-UX
>   Server Version 4, Release 1, Level 5.0
>   Data compression forced on by the server
>   Server date/time: 09/18/02   15:26:07  Last access: 09/18/02   15:24:25
>
> Incremental backup of volume '/u03/backups/data_PROD_3809_472860773'
> Successful incremental backup of '/u03/backups/data_PROD_3809_472860773'
>
> ANS1074I *** User Abort ***

Ah, now we get to the heart of the problem. The ANR1074I "User abort"
message is a bogus one. It does not begin to point to the problem, which is
probably a shortage of mount points for the device class your backup is
attempting to accomplish.

Check the mount limit for the device class of the destination your backup is
going to. If you're going to tape, and the mount limit is not set to DRIVES,
set it there with

        upd devclass <devclass_name> mountlimit=drives

(Oh, is there any way to get rid of that incredibly annoying disclaimer at
the top of your email. Long-wided lawyerese is bad enough; having to page
through it to get to your messages is grounds for justifiable
anthill-staking.)

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE