ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Recovery with Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Int ernet Explorer 6

2002-09-18 10:54:03
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Recovery with Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Int ernet Explorer 6
From: "Robertson, G.Louis" <glouisrobertson AT KPMG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:44:54 -0500
Michael,

I had a similar problem and had to make changes to my dms.opt file to
include the following (Please note that there is a presechedule that runs
ntbackup with the following syntax (ntbackup backup systemstate /f
"C:\Srvutils\Systemstate.bkf" /m copy):

DSM.OPT file contents:

*========================================================================
*
* TSM Options File (Windows 2000 Customized)
*
* Modifications:
*
* 11/20/01 - name - modification description
*
*========================================================================

*========================================================================
* Define the domain
*========================================================================
DOMain          all-local

*========================================================================
* Define the domain
*========================================================================
BACKUPREG       yes

*========================================================================
* Define TCP/IP settings
*========================================================================
commmethod              tcpip
tcpport         1500
TCPServeradd    xxx.xxx.2xxx.xxx
TCPBUFFSIZE     64
TCPWINDOWSIZE   32
TXNBYTELIMIT    25600

*========================================================================
* Pre and Post Schedule scripts
*========================================================================
PRESCHED        C:\SrvUtils\Scripts\sysstate.cmd
*POSTSCHED      C:\SrvUtils\Scripts\???

*========================================================================
* Define log file names
*========================================================================
ERRORLOGNAME    C:\SrvUtils\Logs\DSMError.log
SCHEDLOGNAME    C:\SrvUtils\Logs\DSMSched.log

*========================================================================
* Define the directory Management Class
*========================================================================
DIRMC           MC_7VER

*========================================================================
* Include/Exclude list
*========================================================================

EXCLUDE "*:\WINNT\CSC\...\*"
EXCLUDE "*:\WINNT\REGISTRATION\*.CLB\...\*.CRMLOG"
EXCLUDE "*:\DOCUMENTS\...\INDEX.DAT"
EXCLUDE "*:\PAGEFILE.SYS"
EXCLUDE "*:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DTCLOG\MSDTC.LOG"
EXCLUDE "*:\WINNT\NETLOGON.CHG"
*EXCLUDE "*:\HIBERFIL.SYS"
EXCLUDE "*:\WINNT\SCHEDLGU.TXT"
EXCLUDE "*:\WINNT\DEBUG\*.*"
Exclude "*:\...\ea data. sf"
* The following exclude parameter will prevent a registry backup unless
* the include *:\adsm.sys\...\* is also present.
Exclude "*:\...\system32\config\...\*"
Exclude.dir *:\...\ntfrs\jet
Exclude.dir *:\...\ntds
Exclude.dir "*:\System Volume Information"
Exclude.dir "*:\...\Temporary Internet Files"
Exclude.dir *:\Recycled
Exclude.dir *:\Recycler
Include *:\adsm.sys\...\*

Notes:
·     Domain needs to be set to "all-local".
·     Include *:\adsm.sys\...\*  Must be first line processed in the
include/exclude list
·     Presched runs a command line backup of the system state using
ntbackup the contents of this command file is: ntbackup backup systemstate
/f "C:\Srvutils\Systemstate.bkf" /m copy
·     More information on the ntbackup command can be found in Microsoft
knowledgebase article Q300439 (
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300439 )

To do the restore from the archive follow these steps

Windows 2000 TSM Archive restore process

Assumptions:
·     User is familiar with TSM Client 4.2.2
·     The TSM client on the Windows 2000 computer is at least version
4.2.2
·     User has Administrator privileges on the server being restored.
·     The TSM Archive was performed with the dsm.opt file I have listed
above
·     A successful System State backup was performed prior to the TSM
Archive

1.      Install base W2K Advanced Server OS
2.      Install W2K SP2
3.      Create all partitions that existed on original system using the same
Drive letters and names.
4.      Set up NIC cards to allow access to the Internet.
5.      Create dsm.opt file using Attachment 1 as a template.
6.      Install TSM Intel Client v 4.2.2
7.      Go to the Windows 2000 Update website and perform all updates that
were on the original system (including Internet Explorer).
8.      Start TSM Client 4.2.2 GUI interface
9.      Retrieve all local drive files. Overwriting replacing all files.
    a.  Choose the retrieve options button
    b.  Make the selection Replace all files even if read only-locked
    c.  Press Retrieve
10.     Restore System Object
a.      Make the same changes to the Restore Options that you made in the
Retrieve process.
11.     Restart server at prompt.
12.     Logon as Administrator.
13.     Use ntbackup to restore the System State (Start: Program Files:
Accessories: System Tools: Backup.)
14.     Restart server at prompt.

Louis

G Louis Robertson