ADSM-L

Re: Optimal VMTUNE Guidelines for a TSM Server

2002-09-17 00:51:20
Subject: Re: Optimal VMTUNE Guidelines for a TSM Server
From: Paul Ripke <pripke AT CSC.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:38:06 +1100
Paul,

When tuning "maxperm", one important thing should be noted:
"maxperm" is not the limit on cached file pages! Under heavy JFS file
I/O, the file cache can grow up to "maxperm" by paging out process
data areas (I think AIX documentation refers to them as
"computational" pages) - if there is free memory beyond maxperm, the
file cache will continue to grow and consume all available free
memory. In other words, maxperm defines the limit where the file
cache will *compete* with processes for memory.

So if you have a system with a known "small" application load and no
real need for VM paging, I don't see a reason why not to set maxperm
very low, to let the file cache only consume real "free" memory.

As an example, here's one of our boxes:

number of valid memory pages = 2097141  maxperm=8.0% of real memory
maximum pinable=80.0% of real memory    minperm=3.0% of real memory
number of file memory pages = 847688    numperm=40.4% of real memory

Of course, I'm pretty sure if you use raw logical volumes, all of this
goes out the window. Our TSM server is a Sun (with raw logical
volumes), so I can't tell exactly how AIX will behave.

Cheers,
Paul Ripke
UNIX/OpenVMS Sysadmin
CSC, Port Kembla 2502, NSW, Australia
Phone +61 2 4275 4101
Fax +61 2 4275 7801
Mobile +61 419 432 517
101 reasons why you can't find your Sysadmin:
68. It's 9 AM. He/she is not working that late.

This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies.