ADSM-L

Re: Consumption of new scratch tape increase abnormally

2002-09-13 11:32:04
Subject: Re: Consumption of new scratch tape increase abnormally
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:05:40 -0500
Good summary, with one interesting item left out . . .

As the tape is written, TSM indicates the percentage of estimated capacity
used, up to 100%. If the drive can do compression, the estimated capacity is
based on a 2:1 ratio. LTO drives, for example, show an estimated capacity of
190,734 MB for the 100 MB tapes. If the data compresses beter tahn two to
one, the tape will show 100% and still be 'filling'. The status doesn't
change to 'full' untill the physical end-of-tape is detected by the tape
drive.

If the data does NOT compress, the 'estimated capacity' for the tape gets
set at whatever was on the tape when the end-of-tape was hit AND that
becomes 100% for all future reference for that particular tape untill all
data expires off of it.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc