ADSM-L

Re: High Comm Wait (slow network speed?)

2002-09-13 08:46:32
Subject: Re: High Comm Wait (slow network speed?)
From: Hamish Marson <hamish AT TRAVELLINGKIWI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:45:50 +0100
Cook, Dwight E wrote:

well, how bad...
I've seen about every sun box here not negotiate duplex correctly with their
switch so we've had to force set all sun 100 Mb/sec fast Ethernet interfaces
to full duplex, 100 Mb AND force set the switch ports they connect to also.
If auto negotiate is involved anywhere in there, something always gets
screwed up and backup speeds drop to about 10 MB/hr
ARG !
I cut all my hair off long ago to keep from pulling it out !

I have yet to see a server correctly detect duplex when set to
auto-negotiate with a switch. Not just Sun, but every other vendor we
have as well. In fact a few years back, even the cisco engineers didn't
rate the chances of seeing a successful suto-negotiation for duplex.
Speed is OK, but everything just seems to grab half duplex when they
should be full...

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III
509 S. Boston Ave.  Suite 220