ADSM-L

Re: NAS backup

2002-09-11 17:47:05
Subject: Re: NAS backup
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:46:19 -0700
The 300G solution is not NDMP-based, but is a TSM Windows client running in
the NAS box (hence, there should be no need for the TSM client to access
the NAS file system using CIFS/NFS).  I assume that this is a standard
Windows client with no storage agent (i.e, support for IP but not FC), but
I don't know that for sure.

Dave Cannon
Tivoli Storage Manager Development
Tivoli Storage Products, IBM Software Group
dcannon AT us.ibm DOT com

----- Forwarded by Dave Cannon/Tucson/IBM on 09/11/2002 02:32 PM -----

                      John Bremer
                      <jbremer AT lanl DOT gov        To:       "ADSM: Dist
Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>,
                      >                         ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                               cc:       Dave
Cannon/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
                      09/11/2002 01:57         Subject:  Re: NAS backup
                      PM

Dave,

On this subject, would you explain briefly the TSM backup solution that can
be ordered with the IBM NAS (300G) product line?  It is my understanding
that it is also not an NDMP solution, however a special (?) integrated
client that is shipped with the product.

Is the IBM NAS client no different than our TSM Windows NT/XP/2K version,
and works over IP and FC networks?

Thanks.  Regards, John