ADSM-L

Re: Gigabit performance with Win2K

2002-09-11 17:32:48
Subject: Re: Gigabit performance with Win2K
From: Rob Schroeder <robs AT FAMOUSFOOTWEAR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:27:15 -0500
You're unlikely to get 10x improvement.  Your problem will be a combination
of the drivers and the size of the server.  You actually need quite a large
server with a good driver and an excellent fibregigabit card to drive true
gigabit.  The question is: are you using the bandwidth you have today?

Rob Schroeder
Famous Footwear
608-827-3495 phone
608-662-6495 fax

                      Greg Redell
                      <GRedell AT GWL DOT COM>        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Gigabit performance
with Win2K
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      09/11/2002 04:05
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello all,

We are currently looking into upgrading our network to from 100Mb to
gigabit and our network architecture group wanted to make sure that TSM
could use all that bandwidth if it had it available.  My main concern and
the main reason for the upgrade is our Domino servers, can TDP use the
extra speed, or is there too much overhead to let it ramp up to a good
pace?  Can we expect TSM to get a 10x throughput increase?
I know there is a lot on this subject on ASDM.org but I did not see any
comments on TDP or Win2K environments.

Our environment is as follows:

The server and nodes are all Win2K SP2
TSM server 4.2.1.0  2x1GHz procs

File server clients 4.2.2.0 varying processors

TDP for Domino 1.1.2
Domino 5.0.8 on 4x550 mhz procs

Any input is helpful.

Greg Redell