ADSM-L

Client problems -- still

2002-09-09 13:03:35
Subject: Client problems -- still
From: Simeon Johnston <simeonuj AT INDIVISUALLEARNING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:59:47 -0500
A while back I asked about a client that my server was unable to access
due to several different errors.
The problem basically is that it can't find the client OR it can't
access the client because it's "unavaible" i.e. busy (which it is NOT).
I've found that right after booting or restarting the retrospect client
process I can access the client for a short amount of time.  Then the
server sit's there trying to close the connection (usually right after
it's accessed the client) but can't finish.  If I stop this it goes on
with whatever it was trying to do for a while.
The client registers the access and displays what it's currently doing
("in use by "blahblahblah", renamed etc.) but doesn't CLOSE the
connection.  It sits there till the process is shutdown or I restart the
computer.  It still think's it's being accessed by the server, while the
server thinks the client dissappeared off the network or is busy doing
something else.

What the hell is the poblem?  I've been playing with the client
processes trying to figure out where the conflict is (if there is one)
and eliminating possiblities.  I haven't gotten anywhere with that.

Any idea's?
It's a Win2k Pro system.  Laptop with wireless and LAN (both have been
tried with the same problem).
I've stopped all the processes that I can find that aren't necessary for
the laptop to run but that didn't help.
I've reinstalled the client also.  It's been updated also to the newest
5.6 client.

sim