ADSM-L

Re: Exchange TDP backups with weekly/monthly/yearly snapshots

2002-09-09 07:49:14
Subject: Re: Exchange TDP backups with weekly/monthly/yearly snapshots
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 07:41:11 -0400
> I'm afraid I already know the answer to this question, but since I'm a
> novice with the TDP for Exchange product, here goes...
>
> One of my clients wants to start using TDP for Exchange, and has asked
for
> an archiving capability for weekly, monthly, and yearly snapshots as well
> as the nightly backups.
>
> Knowing that backupsets can't be used with API clients (I feel a
> requirement coming out of this), and TDP for Exchange uses the backup
> copygroup with TSM policy controlling version expiration, I'm assuming
that
> I will have to create multiple nodes and use different management classes
:-(.

> Has anyone else had to implement this?  Is there perhaps a better way to
> snapshot without using the TDP agent?

Scott,

Like you stated, using separate NODENAMES is one way
that some customers accomplish this.
With TDP for Exchange, you can also use the "COPY" type
backup and use the "INCLUDE" option to bind your
"COPY" type backups to a separate management class.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.