ADSM-L

Re: Copy of contents of volume

2002-09-07 08:10:17
Subject: Re: Copy of contents of volume
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 00:55:09 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Crawford, Lindy
> Please could you assist me, is possible to copy the contents of a volume
> another volume or storage pool?

You cannot make a copy of one volume onto another.

> It is just that for SAP db2 backups I have
> it backing up to a daily pool but I need to copy friday backup to
> sap weekly
> or monthly pool as it becomes a nightmare to go and change the tsm
> management class in db2 every friday.

You're thinking in terms of old backup philosophies--something that TSM is
not adept at doing. (Not that you'd really want it to, anyway.)

What are you trying to accomplish? If you're trying to get an additional
copy of your data in a weekly and monthly cycle, use archiving instead. Do
the regular daily backup as you are not doing. Create two additional
management classes, one with an archive copygroup using a 7-day designation
and the other with an archive copygroup using a 30-day retention. Now run an
weekly archive of your db2 data every Friday with the first new management
class, and and a monthly archive of the same data once a month with the
second new class.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE