ADSM-L

Re: Move from 3590 to LTO or 9840/9940

2002-09-06 04:47:49
Subject: Re: Move from 3590 to LTO or 9840/9940
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 03:47:55 -0500
Yep... I am working with just such a customer;  getting rid of 3590E's (9
drives, 7=SCSI, 2=Fibre) in their 3494 silo, replacing with STK SN6000 (SAN)
virtualizing the PowderHorn silo, 14 drives (9940A's, maybe upgrade to B's,
later).  LTO is not the industrial-strength quality of 3590 or 9840/9940,
period... but, even with the best tape technology, you still should consider
copy pools (for offsite and/or protection against media failure during
restore of production data).  Also, we are installing Gresham EDT
single-server (to start), in preparation for LAN-free and library sharing
(with a 2nd TSM server).

Absolutely... always mirror (with TSM) your db & log; also, search the
archives for more "best practices" kinds of things like copy pools,
roll-forward mode, striping considerations, etc.  To move nodes from
mainframe to Sun, get on 5.1 first;  this version has a one-step
export/import feature (rather than the old, two-step process with
server-2-server via virtual volumes)... it's the only way to get your nodes'
data into a TSM server on a dissimilar platform.

This customer does currently about 1 TB per night (of backups), are doing
okay backup window and reclamation-wise, have now embarked on a server
consolidation plan which is adding about 800 to 1,000 NT servers to the TSM
environment.  I have been researching (via dsmaccnt.log and summary table)
their data volume, file space occupancy, and retention policies to come up
with a data migration plan.  We are keeping the existing AIX box (S80 on SP
switch/complex), so it's a simple matter of (a) put 9940's into production
(using new storage pool), (b) wait for a couple weeks, so normal attrition
will eliminate all but the current client disk occupancy worth of backup
data, then (c) let run storage pool migration (define new pool as the
nextstg of the old stgpool) on one or more weekends (we figured about 10 TB
per every 72-hour period,,, that's with a conservative 5 MB/sec thruput per
3590 drive).

For more complete answers to your laundry list of questions, I suggest you
try using ServerGraph (that's what we're planning to do) -- else, just hack
your way thru the myriad of data to answer the Q's for your environment.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)