ADSM-L

Antwort: Virtual Volumes...

2002-09-05 21:30:53
Subject: Antwort: Virtual Volumes...
From: Markus Veit <markus.veit.mv AT BAYER-AG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:11:37 +0200
Hi Allen,
my setup is 2 x TSM 4.2.1.9
2 x Win2k SP3
2 x ADIC 100 LTO

We have a server to server crosslink to backup data from one Adic100 to the
other not utillizing library sharing. We set up 10 GB virtual volumes on each
server. One ba stg runs daily to backup the data to cross having two mountpoints
each and reclamation set to 50%. One server makes Domino backups
the other file. The funny thing is though, although the virtual volumes are set
to 10GB the "notes" server creates a large number of virtual volumes that have
an estimated capacity of 100kB, 1MB, 2MB, on the same pysical LTO tape on the
destination server. The "file" server creates 10GB volumes and fills them
between 80% and 100%. I seem to think that the small virtual volumes have to do
with the fact that notes transaction logs are backed up into the copy stg as
well. On the other hand, due to expiration etc, when a stg pysical volume on the
destination server becomes "free" the status doesn't  change from private to
scratch, but stays private with no data in it and no association to the stg that
was created on the destination server to host the virtual volume. The tape was
used last by the stg that was created on the destination server.
We also have several other TSM servers that do a db backup to virtuel volumes
where everything is ok.
Have you / anyone seen anything like that, a call with Tivoli didn't help.

 Best Regards

Markus Veit