ADSM-L

DSMSERV DUMPDB -> DEVCLASS FILE (DEVTYPE=FILE) ---- Possible? If so, what are the requirements ?

2002-09-05 21:30:45
Subject: DSMSERV DUMPDB -> DEVCLASS FILE (DEVTYPE=FILE) ---- Possible? If so, what are the requirements ?
From: Kent Monthei <Kent.J.Monthei AT GSK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:46:41 -0400
I made a test copy of my TSM database volumes on a test server, then tried
running DSMSERV DUMPDB.  The test server doesn't have access to a tape
drive, but has substantial disk storage, so I defined a DEVCLASS FILE
DEVTYPE=FILE in 'devconfig', then ran DSMSERV DUMPDB using FILE as a
target.   That seemed to work for a minute or two (DUMPDB allocated a file
on disk), but then terminated with an out-of-space error.   The target
volume had more than enough space to hold the entire 50GB DB, but only
about 500MB were allocated before the operation failed.

Did I miss a requirement, or is this simply not possible?

-rsvp, thanks

Kent Monthei
GlaxoSmithKline