ADSM-L

Re: Data in offsite pool that is not in onsite pool

2002-09-05 21:30:56
Subject: Re: Data in offsite pool that is not in onsite pool
From: Charles Anderson <ceanderson AT DIS.UMSMED DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:54:18 -0500
Steve,

We recently had a couple of tapes that either went bad, or had copies
of files on them marked as bad.  What I would do is look at the actlog
and see what vols reclaimation isn't able to continue on, and then do a
"restore vol VOLSER preview=yes" on that volume. Most of the volumes
that will come up as being needed will be the ones that you see in the
actlog now as being needed, but are offsite.  We brought the tapes from
offsite, checked them in, restored vol without the preview option, and
then checked the offsite vols back out.  It took something like 80 tapes
to restore 5 onsite tapes with bad data.  it was a lot of fun!

-ed

>>> shicks AT KUB DOT ORG 2002/09/03 08:57:30 AM >>>
Our offsite pool reclamation process is calling for tapes that are
listed
as being in the vault (and they actually are). Obviously reclamation
can
not take place for these volumes, as they are not onsite. First, what
is
the best way to go about fixing this? Second, what could have gotten
our
pools out of sync? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve Hicks
CIS System Infrastructure Lead /
AIX Administrator