ADSM-L

Virtual Volumes...

2002-09-03 12:02:25
Subject: Virtual Volumes...
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:02:07 -0400
Greetings all.  For those of you using virtual volumes, how large do you make
the volumes?  When I started doing this, I had the following opinions:

+ The server volumes should be significantly smaller than the remote physical
  storage.

It would be a real pain for most of the virtual volumes to be spread over
different tapes; multiple physical mounts for each virtual mount?  Ugh.

+ The server volumes should be large enough not to be a huge load.

Each virtual volume is a "file" on the hosting server.  For each TB of data,
that's 1000 files if volumes are 1G; actually probably more like 1300, with
reclamation at 50%.  You certainly don't want them as small as 100M.

I selected 1GB for my virtual volumes, but am starting to re-think the issue,
maybe going for 10G or so.

Anyone want to share thought processes?

- Allen S. Rout