ADSM-L

Re: Hoping to get new adsm server

2002-09-01 05:14:44
Subject: Re: Hoping to get new adsm server
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 23:55:02 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Roger Deschner
> Note we selected SuperDLT over LTO or other tape technologies solely
> because SDLT drives could read our old DLT-IV tape cartridges. An SDLT
> drive, however, cannot write to a DLT-IV cartridge as I understand it.

You could have gotten around that fairly easily.

Quick outline for migration from one server/library combo to another:
1. Set up new server/library.
2. Bring new server/library online.
3. Use old server/library for restores only, while new library/server does
backups.
4. Allow old server/library data to expire away.

Eventually, you'll have to move data from old to new, but you can do that
once the amount of data in the old system has been whittled away to a
manageable level.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE