ADSM-L

Re: Hoping to get new adsm server

2002-08-30 01:21:54
Subject: Re: Hoping to get new adsm server
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 23:06:31 -0500
TSM geek wrote:

Hello All,

We are hoping to get a new server to use for our existing TSM
environment. I
was curious if anyone has had any experience in
setting up a new TSM server and migrating the existing TSM environments'
data to that new server without losing any thing?

Yes, I have done this for several different clients of mine.  There are
several different approaches that can be used depending on what HW will
be changing as well as several other requirements you may have.  Just
for the sake of discussion lets say that you divide the TSM server HW
into 3 peices, CPU/System, Disk storage, and Tape library.  I separate
the Disk since it maybe be some kind of external storage (i.e. SAN or
SSA) as opposed to some form of local attached disk.  I will need to
know what parts are changing, what they currently are and what they will
be.  I need some rough estimates of the size of diskpools and tapepools.
How much down time will you have for the project, remember there is 2
kinds of down time in this environment; no normal scheduled events and
no restores available.

If you provide some of the additional information I will be glad to give
you a rough outline.  Or if you would prefer you can e-mail me directly
with a phone number and I would be glad to discuss it with you.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE